Sunday, May 1, 2011

5-Minute Story... Pencil Lessons

A pencil maker was busy polishing his newly finished pencils when his son entered his room. "Father, the carriage has arrived. I'll help you load these pencils. I'll also stay with brother at the market and help him sell these pencils" said the child.
"Alright, but before you pack these pencils, would you let me be alone with them for awhile? I'll just whisper something to them" the pencil maker replied. The son nodded but he was quite puzzled. He can't understand why his father would talk to the pencils privately. He left the room to give his father a privacy as requested. But as soon as the pencil maker turned his back, the young child opened the door a little to give him a little peak. He saw and heard his father talk to the pencils.
"Little children, when you leave my house, always remember these things that I will tell you. First, always remember that everything you will do will leave a mark. Second, you can always correct the mistakes you make. Third, what is important is what's inside of you. Fourth, you must remember this, in life, you will experience painful sharpening to make you a better pencil. And the last, the most important is to be the best pencil that you can be - you must allow yourself to be held and guided by the hand that holds you."
After hearing those words, the child paused and reflected. His father went out of the work room and called him. "I hope you listened carefully to my words my son" said his father, tapping the child's shoulder. They packed the pencils together and sold them to the market. The son lived with these words all his life and grew up happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scratch your thoughts here, unless it's SPAM!